Joy in the Journey

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Count Your Many Blessings

Today was our second week at church. I loved it, it really does feel like being a missionary again! Sarah and i taught the gospel principles class together. Afterwards, a woman I haven't met yet approached me. She said, "You are a teacher?" I told her that yes, in America I teach 6-year-olds. She told me she can speak English, but she doesn't know how to read, and asked if I could teach her. I knew I'd have to get it approved first, but my mind was racing...I could teach people how to read- my favorite thing!! I asked if there were others she knew who wanted to learn to read, and she told me yes. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the senior missionaries have been wanting to start an English class, because some of the members don't speak English very well, or have spouses that do not. Its still very much in the works, but I would LOVE to teach people how to read. That can open a world of opportunities for people.

Also today in class we sang, "Count Your Many Blessings." I was struck by the words.

"Count your many blessings name them one by one, count your many blessings, see what God hath done..."

Comparatively to the western world, many of these people had next to nothing. But they sang with the fervor of any group of believers.

"Count your man blessings, money cannot buy; your reward in Heaven nor your home on high..."

And then I realized that compared to most of the world, the people in that room had more than most. They had the gospel of salvation. They had the knowledge of how to repent, make covenants, and live with God again. They had hope for a better world, which gives peace in the one we currently live in. And for that reason, these people are richer than over 5 billion people here upon the Earth today. I feel blessed to be counted in that small group.

To top off the day, we stayed after church to watch the baptism of 3 people.
Mbale branch baptism
Waterfall from the hike
Riding in a truck on the way to the hike
Hike


1 comment:

  1. Ash you are awesome! Those literacy programs really do change lives. I remember lots of people not knowing how to read in Mozambique, and that is why their paper currency was different colors for different values and why the people driving the chapas (the little bus-vans) would yell out their destination as they pulled up, so people could live their daily lives without needing to read. If you get the go-ahead you will be helping people become so much more self-sufficient and informed, keep up the good work you are doing! p.s. I ran into Janae yesterday, and it made me miss all the other 107 girls, we need to get together when you are back :)

    ReplyDelete