Joy in the Journey

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Project Continued

Today a few of us, including Sarah and I, met with the district officer, the CCTs (central coordinating tutors), school inspectors, and chairpersons in education. It was a big meeting, and I was kinda nervous. We got all the details finalized for the upcoming seminars. Next week is our pilot seminar, and the real seminars will begin July 5th. Everyone was very supportive, and I felt treated like I really knew a lot about teaching. These people have been in the profession for decades, and here's little Sarah and I, coming in to share our little knowledge from 2 years experience...but they were eager and excited and supportive. At one point, we were explaining our plan for the seminar schedule. When we were done, we asked if anyone had suggestions or concerns. After a minute, one of the CCTs spoke up, saying he didn't think we'd have time to fit everything in. I started to respond, but the D O stopped me. He said something like, "I think we should keep the schedule as it is. Part of the hard part about teaching is trying to fit everything in. Let's see if they can do it and show us how it is done." Okay...(that's not intimidating at all!) Here we go! Out to improve education in Uganda!

Where the teacher seminar will take place (this is probably the only place I've seen padded chairs in Uganda!)
Some Ugandan students
So one day Sarah and I and some other team members went to a little restaurant in town and got some rice and beans. There was so much, we asked to take it home, and they gave us these plastic baggies to put it in. It was hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment