Joy in the Journey

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Project

There are many projects (some big, some smaller) that our group is currently working on. But there is one that I am especially excited about that Sarah and I get to help plan. We have visited at several schools the last few days, talked with administrators, and observed teachers. We always get a very warm welcome in the classroom (they always say, "You are very welcome") and often the students will clap for us. One darling boy from this morning on the front row (Isaac) even grabbed my face with both hands and jumped up and down shouting, "Mzungu, mzungu!!"

Overall, the teachers that I have seen have really exceeded my expectations. I tried to evaluate them just as my evaluators would do and was impressed with all of the good things they did. But we also noticed some very common themes. Typically, teachers would ask a question, students would parrot an answer, teachers would put it on the board, and students would copy it. Sometimes there would be discussion, but all the information was fed to the students. None of the students seemed to think for themselves, or when they did, they kept it to themselves. Once a teacher let me get up in front of the class and I purposefully asked a couple of open-ended questions. The students just stared at me. I hadn't already given them an answer, and they didn't seem to know what to do.

So here is my conclusion...I can't end poverty, but maybe if I can help people to think for themselves and problem solve, they will discover solutions for the themselves as well.

Before we arrived, some members of our team started developing a project training teachers in doing science projects and experiments in the classroom using local objects. Sarah and I have latched on to this project, to turn it into a science training/general teacher training. I have been amazed with how things are falling into place. The Branch President here works at a school, and is friends with the district officer. Tomorrow we are meeting with him to make our proposal (which he seems to already be in agreement with). We are going to be hosting 6 training seminars that will include 1 or 2 teachers from every school in the district and municipality. We will be reaching about 150 primary (elementary) schools. Each seminar will be all day, from 8-5. We'll be demonstrating science experiments that correlate with their curriculum, teaching about Blooms taxonomy and higher-level thinking, and include other pedagogical techniques such as planning, inquiry, student participation, and being a reflective teacher. I'm so excited about this project! This is what I love to do. I hope it continues to work out.
The city of MbaleMe with students from schoolMe with students from schoolYou see signs like this at many schoolsThe planning board in our house

2 comments:

  1. WOW how great to be using your knowledge to make a difference!! I can't even imagine how grateful these people are going to be for your help...and in turn I am sure they will bless your life immensely!! Stay safe, love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks Tiff! I definitely feel like I am learning much more from them than they are from me! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete