After church, I met some of the people. They were all so friendly. One family I talked to told me they would name their next daughter Ashley. (I don’t really believe it, but it was sweet when he said it). Another man was really puzzled by my name. “Is that your Christian name?” he asked.
Joy in the Journey
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Church
This morning I attended the Mbale branch. It was just formed last week. Actually, one of the boys in my group (Paul) served his mission here and opened this area. Back then there were about 5 members, and now there are about 80 who regularly attend. I was so impressed with this little branch. The members are so friendly, and they seem dedicated to the gospel. The building where we meet is just 3 rooms, but they have a keyboard and a podium with folding chairs. There is no microphone, so we learned this week that it is better to sit up front. Without a mic and with their thick accents, it was hard for me to understand what they were saying. But the Spirit was strong in that little building, so it didn’t much matter. I felt like a missionary again (I almost introduced myself as Sis. Rodgers, but caught myself just in time). The lessons were great, and it was interesting to hear them from a Ugandan perspective. In Sunday School we talked about shepherds vs. sheep herders, and everyone thought it was amazing that in the days of Christ the sheep just followed the shepherd, instead of following behind which is what they do with their animals here. Then in RS, we talked about tithing. Because most of the members are new, it was explained how to pay tithing and how to fill out a tithing slip. Then the teacher gave an example of how much tithing is: “If someone makes 120,000 shillings, then their tithing would be 12,000 shillings.” I did the math. That would be about 60 US dollars, and the tithing would be about 6 dollars. I assume that is an average income. We also talked about how you don’t always pay in money, you may pay in food, supplies, or time. It was a great lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Miss Ash! I have been checking your blog, waiting to hear from you... I was beginning to worry! :) I canNOT wait to hear how things go in the school on Monday-- what an interesting experience that will be. And what an incredible perspective on what we do. The rest of the team is meeting next week to start on common core-- maybe you can get us some pointers from Africa? Don't worry, I already told Daph I will give her some sass since you won't be around to dish it out! Africa is lucky to have you, and we will be lucky to get you back!
ReplyDeleteIsaac says he misses you already. Of course, the fact that I am missing you goes without saying.
Oh man, a fresh new branch. It must be killing you to not be there as a missionary. Although Cade says HELP is probably a lot more fun to do.
ReplyDeleteCandalyn, I'm missing you and Isaac too! I got your email and will be sure to pass along any thoughts I have about the core. Don't give Daph too much sass...I wouldn't want to be replaced too soon! :)
ReplyDeleteCaryn, Yes, it is killing me! But we are getting to help some too. This week I'm helping Sarah teach gospel principles, and I think we're attending a baptism after church. Someone in my group also told the Branch Pres that I like to speak in church, but my records aren't here so I don't think that's possible... :)