Joy in the Journey

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Literacy Class!

Sarah and I have also decided to start teaching English classes down at the LDS church. They are open to the public, 3 days a week. The idea for the class started when a woman approached me after church after hearing that I was a teacher. She asked if I could help her learn to read (my favorite thing!). With some more asking around, we found that many people have a desire to improve their English skills. On our first day, we weren’t expecting many people, so we stood on the street for the first 20 minutes or so and just recruited people. We got about 20 people that first day to walk off the street and into class, plus a few members and investigators (If only missionary work was that easy!). I put together a phonics assessment, and learned that most people (minus the girl who had talked to me) were fairly proficient readers, but their speaking abilities have room for improvement. We’ve developed a class that incorporates some phonics skills, but mostly focuses on vocabulary, accents, and common communication topics. In talking with the elders in the area, they’ve agreed to take on the classes after we leave, so that they can continue to benefit the people in the area.

This is a short clip of me teaching class one day….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFphZKnLz3M

No comments:

Post a Comment