Joy in the Journey

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Halfway Point

This last week I hit the halfway point of my time in Uganda. I wanted to write about some of the things I miss from home, as well as some of the things I know I WILL miss when I leave. Uganda has been very good to me!

The top ten things I miss (not in this order :)

-hot showers
-mexican food
-washing machines
-friends and family
-feeling clean
-alone time
-carpet
-punctuality
-road rules
-teaching without a language barrier

The top ten things I WILL miss:

-being called by my Lugishu name: Nambozo
-getting off a boda, and realizing that I’m still alive
-rolex: Ugandan breakfast burritos
-watching a room full of teachers thoroughly engaged in what I’m telling them
-the HELP team
-When Ugandans say my name and start laughing (I usually shorten it to “Ash” for simplicity’s sake)
-feeling like I am an honored guest everywhere I go
-how friendly EVERYONE is
-watching the church grow in Uganda
-the African landscape: red sun, waterfalls, and green as far as the eye can see

No comments:

Post a Comment