Joy in the Journey

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

If Only Missionary Work Was This Easy...

Also last week Sarah and I went to recruit for our English classes. We’ve had a steady number of 10-20 usually, but some days there are more attendees than others. So we went down to a supermarket and bought something similar to poster board, and made signs about the class. We knew of another popular supermarket (called BAM) so we were going to stand outside there and tell people to come to English class. Well, unfortunately, we never made it to BAM. All we did was hold up the signs as we walked, and we were stopped every few feet. It was crazy. Everyone sounded interested, even if they didn’t actually make the effort to come to class. In fact, we had people sign their name on a sheet of paper if they were going to come, and in less than 2 hours, about 70 people signed up. Really, only ten of them came to the next class, but I was still impressed. One man in particular, Anthony, started recruiting for us. “Come here,” he said, “these people who live here don’t know English.” He showed us this slum area where sure enough, English was fairly limited. He translated for us, and was the one who brought the ten people with him to class. “Next time I will bring 20!” he said. I guess we’ll see how it goes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment