Joy in the Journey
Thursday, July 7, 2011
The Babies' Home!
On Friday I went to “the Babies Home,” aka an orphanage/school. Surprisingly, it was better than I had feared, but I was still surprised at some of the things I saw. There were 13 orphans there under the age of 3. We got there early in the morning, so we could help them to bathe and dress the babies, and then we just got to play with them for a while. The babies were darling. But once they are dressed in the morning, the pretty much spend the rest of the day in this nearly-empty room that has just two mats on the otherwise concrete floor. The women who run the orphanage are busy cooking and cleaning, and don’t get to spend much time with them. When its time to eat, all the babies who are able, hold their own sippy cup and are given porridge (cheaper than milk). In the past they’ve even been given raw eggs! (we’ve talked with them about that). I became especially attached to little Grace, who caught my eye right away. She loved to be held and cried every time you’d try to put her down. My heart went out to these little ones who receive little stimulation day in and day out, and simply lay on the floor for hours. We are so blessed. Maybe little Grace can come home with me… :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment