I love the cultural differences that I’ve been able to experience since being here. Some of the things people say I can’t really imagine being said in the US, at least not in front of me. But here, I find it hilarious!
Boda boda driver:
“You are heavy. I think you eat nice meals.”
(Yes, thank you, my self esteem just shot through the roof :) )
Our teacher friend, Jessica:
“Oh no! The mosquitos, they have gotten your face!”
Me: “Actually Jessica, that’s acne.”
Jessica: “What’s acne? Oh, your skin? It does not like the weather?”
Me: “Right…it does not like the weather…”
Random man I met at the church in Kampala:
(as I walked past him without saying anything)
“You will not greet me??”
me: Oh, I’m sorry. Hello, how are you?
Man: Fine, how are you?
Me: I’m doing well, thanks. What’s your name?
Man: (tells me his name)
Me: I’m called Ashley.
Man: Are you married?
Me: No, I’m not married, I’m single.
Man: I want to marry you.
Me: Well….sorry. You’ll have to keep looking.
(Wow, and all this time I thought marriage was a miracle! Who knew it could be this easy :) )
Jude, a young man in the branch. He was talking to Sarah and I about dating in the US:
Sarah: “Every boy loves Ashley. They just line up to date her” (ps, not even remotely near a fragment of the truth)
Jude: Oh, so they like her because she is heavier?
(again, thank you. I may need to see a therapist upon my return :) )
Wow! I just read this. I laughed out loud, not cause it's true but because it's so awkward, ya people would never say that here :)
ReplyDelete